I am one of Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict

Be more aware of life

Be more aware of life

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Brown Furry Animals in the Road



So i'm driving down the road to work this morning and have to swerve to avoid hitting a squirrel. Damn thing...running all over the place, all crazy-like. I looked in my rearview mirror, only to see something that certainly was NOT a squirrel.
I backed up...of course.
In the process of backing up I ended up in the wrong lane so I could be closer to the animal perched on the edge of the road. It was obviously trying to decide the best course of action. I think it was confused by the reverse action of my x-terra.

I stared at it as the large brown creature that resembled a lemur / monkey, ran up the road in front of me, then, in leaps and bounds, jumped it's way across the road.

I was enthralled. I had also forgotten that I was sitting in the road...in the wrong lane.

A car rolled up beside me and, being incredibly excited, I started pointing like a madwoman to the side of the road that was now blocked by the other car. I figured they may see the phenomenon I had glimpsed.

Turns out the sheriff was not as amused as me. He looked a bit concerned.
When it dawned on me that it was an officer, I started laughing histerically and rolled down the passenger window. Mind you...It did not dawn on me to be embarrassed. I was actually considering jumping out of my car to follow the little brown fellow into the tall grasses for another look.

When the window came down far enough, I yelled to the sheriff "I swear I saw a monkey crossing the road!" If it had been nighttime, I would have been asked to step from my car.
I started laughing again when I realized how that must have sounded.
The poor guy was looking at me with concern. He asked "Are you alright miss?". I gathered myself and told him I was fine. I inquired whether there were any wild animals in the area that looked like lemurs. He told me there was everything from bobcats to any number of animals.
I inwardly thought to myself that I was happy I was dressed in my work clothes or else I would have seen the "hippie light" come on over his head. I would have been late for work.
I thanked him and he looked at me like he wanted to ask if I had run out of my medicine.
He nodded, then sat there staring at the road for a second, and drove off.
I pulled into the driveway closest to me, and sat there trying to decide if I should get out and wait, hoping to see it again.
I knew I was going to need medicine if I didn't quit it.
I pulled away and set off to work. I told that story 5 times througout the day, then got home that evening and shoved my husband off the computer. I looked up small mammals in NC and found only 1 animal it could have possibly been. Unless someone's pet lemur had escaped and was on the run, I had found a Mink.
I was wondering why it couldn't have been the Chupacabra......sometimes the internet sucks.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and I really liked it. I love when people post about their everyday life in a funny, charming way.

    Anyway, do you know where that term comes from? "Chupacabra"? From Brazil. Chupa means suck and cabra, goat. Goatsucker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot...it's very theraputic. It also keeps me from hitting the StumbleUpon button 754 times in an evening.

    I did not know that about the chupacabra. I plan on doing some more surfing about this "thing". I must say, i'm intrigued!
    I saw a Chinese Crested that I swear was the sire of all chupacabra at an art festival last week. Scary part-the owner looked just like him-and I think she was trying to look like it...lol

    ReplyDelete